Sunday, January 13, 2008

Two Weeks Till Race Day

One of the big events in my life the past few years has been running in the 3M Half Marathon. Running is somewhat of an overstatement, since I tend to plod along. However, two years ago I challenged myself to see if I could finish a half marathon (which is 13.1 miles) and was pleasantly surprised to see that I could. This year's race is fast approaching and I am trying to move beyond the 30 minute workouts that I have been doing for most of the year to something closer to race conditions. Friday night I spent two hours at the gym and managed to cover nine miles going back and forth between the eliptical and the tread mill. This morning I went out and ran for six miles on the street before church. While the gym is a nice, controlled experience, there is nothing quite like running on the road, where there are hills and headwinds and other obstacles. Although I covered less than half the race distance this morning, it was a very comfortable run. It was exhilirating to be able to go out and just jog for over an hour without running out of breath or hurting. This year I have exercised regularly throughout the year, going to the gym at 6:00 a.m. five times a week and it seems to have paid off. Race day is Sunday January 27th.

No comments: