Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lost in Translation

This morning I saw a Bimbo. No, it's not what you think. I saw the Bimbo logo on a soccer jersey worn by a student at Austin High as I was dropping my daughter off at school. I have seen the Bimbo brand before at the grocery store and on soccer jerseys and have chuckled at the unintended meaning. However, today I was curious enough to do some digging and find out where the name comes from.

Grupo Bimbo, based in Mexico, is one of the four largest food corporations in the world. It sponsors several professional futbol teams, including Chivas, Club America and Rayados de Monterrey, as well as many youth leagues. Its logo is one of the three most common seen on Mexican futbol uniforms.

The name "Bimbo" apparently does not have any meaning in Mexican Spanish and was chosen to compete with the existing Bambi and Dumbo brands in Mexico. According to Wikipedia, "bimbo" has almost become synonymous with bread. Thus, the name does not have any negative connotation. However, it is unlikely that the company will be sponsoring any womens' soccer teams in the United States.

No comments: