Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Second Golden Age of Saturday Morning Cartoons Part 1: Animaniacs

When I was a kid, Saturday morning cartoons were the high point of the week. I lived for shows like Scooby Doo, Speed Racer and Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner. For me, that was the golden age of Saturday morning cartoons. However, after I grew up, there was a second golden age of Saturday morning cartoons, thanks to Steven Spielberg. While Mr. Spielberg is better known for Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, he also produced a slate of Saturday morning cartoons in the 1990s, including Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain and Freakazoid. These cartoons featured clever theme songs and even more clever writing.

Part 1 of my tribute to the cartoons of Steven Spielberg features the Animaniacs. Here is the opening theme.



Although I was never a big Bill Clinton fan, I always chuckled at the shot of Bill Clinton playing the sax.

The Animaniacs could be educational as shown by this song featuring the capitals of the 50 states. I know some teachers still use this one.



The show also featured educational belching



as well as general zaniness.



They don't make them like this anymore!

No comments: