Tuesday, May 19, 2009

High School Soundtrack: 1975-1979 (Part Three)

New Wave

No discussion of the music of my high school years would be complete without talking about New Wave. New Wave was punk which didn't take itself so seriously. It was ironic rather than angry and you could dance to it, well sort of. As I was getting ready to graduate, artists like the B-52s, Elvis Costello, Blondie, the Knack, the Talking Heads and the Cars were coming on the scene.

I remember going to the disco with my friends sometime after we graduated. I didn't like disco, but there were girls there and it was something to do in El Paso on a Saturday Night. I remember hearing "Rock Lobster" come on and seeing the dance floor clear. It was clearly the vanguard of something new, something the mainstream wasn't ready for, but I was. Unfortunately, New Wave lasted about 15 minutes. Here are a few reminders.











2 comments:

Quentin Fennessy said...

I guess my soundtrack is similar to yours, Steve. I regularly have four of those six songs loaded on my ipod.

QF

Unknown said...

Nice blog Steve! Like an extended version of one of our music conversations from the gym!!