Saturday, September 12, 2009

When American Healthcare Works Well

One difficulty with the current debate on healthcare is that people's experiences vary dramatically. However, for most people the system works pretty well. Today was a case in point. I was preparing for my daughter's birthday party when I fell off a ladder and landed on a sawhorse. I knew right away that I had landed hard on my ribs.

Since it was Saturday, I couldn't go to see my own doctor. However, there was a minor emergency center less than a mile from my house. In just an hour and a half, I had been x-rayed and seen a doctor who confirmed that I had fractured a rib. However, it was not anything which required treatment. I left with a CD containing my x-rays and a prescription for pain medicine. All it cost me was a $50 co-pay. With the pain that I was in, I am sure that I would have willingly paid a lot more.

I was able to return to finish preparations for Kristen's party and was a lot more careful around ladders and sawhorses.

For me, the healthcare system worked extraordinarily well. I was able to get affordable treatment in a short period of time in my own neighborhood. I realize that many people don't have the same experience. However, it is important to make sure that we don't throw out the parts of the system that currently work.

No comments: