Sunday, November 22, 2009

More About Sathers

To celebrate my almost recovery from the flu, I have decided to update my prior post All About Sathers, a tribute to Sathers everywhere who are most likely not related to me, but share the same name. You can find the original post here. Every day, I receive a report from Google that tells me when the word Sather has shown up. Most of the links are stories about Rangers GM Glen Sather and how he has made people mad. However, every once in a while, I come across something new and interesting. Here are my latest finds.

Sathers in the World of Sports



The headline No Sathers, No Problem naturally caught my attention. The Sather sisters--Kristy, Ally and Kaitlin--dominated the world of high school volleyball in Maria Carillo, California for a decade. Currently, Kaitlin is playing for UCLA where she was named Muscle Milk Student Athlete of the Week in October. Kaitlin is a 6' 1" history major who hopes to play volleyball profesionally after she graduates.

Natalie "Speed" Sather of Fargo, North Dakota is one of 30 drivers competing for a spot with Revolution Racing as part of the NASCAR Drive for Diversity, which apparently is a farm team for NASCAR drivers. Go, Speed Sather, Go.



Glen Sather is in the news again, this time for posting $1 mm in bail for a friend accused of bankruptcy fraud. This story is of more interest to me as a bankruptcy lawyer than because of the Sather connection. The allegations against former Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington claim that he filed bankruptcy while concealing offshore assets. I don't know how many times I have counselled potential clients over the years that if you do this, you will get caught and you will go to jail. Hopefully, Pocklington will serve as a cautionary tale.

Teen Soccer Star Stephanie Sather






My Brother in the News

My brother, Dave Sather, was featured in a nice article in the Victoria Advocate titled "7 Things You Need to Know To Start A Business." Dave is an outstanding Certified Financial Planner in Victoria. Together we cover both ends of the financial spectrum. Dave helps successful people manage their money, while I help people recover from business failures.
Dave and Carol Sather Straddle the Equator

Sather Bloggers

As a blogger, I am naturally interested in other bloggers. Here are some Sather bloggers that I have come across:

Sathers Learn How to Multiply, which can be found here. This is the blog of Ami-Jo and Brandon Sather of Savannah, Texas, parents to triplet preemies. As the parent of two preemies myself, I found this blog interesting. The posting about RSV (respiratory synctial virus) was particularly poignant. In June 1995, Stephanie contracted RSV while in the NICU at Brackenridge Hospital. It delayed her homecoming by about a month.

Maggie Sather is the author of Southpaw. This is a fairly enigmatic blog, consisting mostly of photos and the occasional poem. From what I can gather, Maggie is a 20 year old artist from Baltimore. Nice photos on her blog.

I have talked about Jeanne Sather, author of The Assertive Cancer Patientbefore. This blog hits home because my mom is a cancer survivor. Jeanne has been in the news lately telling people that she is Sick of Pink, decrying the commercialization of cancer. An excerpt:

This month, like every October, a sea of pink ribbons washes over products from sneakers to snacks. While the effort raises research dollars, it leaves some breast cancer survivors feeling that companies are profiting from their pain.

Judd Sather is a wedding photographer from Stillwater, Minnesota. Some pretty cool pics on his blog.


More Places Named Sather

In my first post, I wrote about The Sather Gate, Sather Tower, Sather Air Base and asteroid Sather 3292. To that list, I have now found Sather Field, where cute kids play flag football in Shoshone, Iowa and Sather Dam near Alexander, North Dakota.

Finally, there is Ann Sather's Swedish cooking in Chicago, famous for cinnamon rolls as big as a baby's head.

No comments: