Monday, January 25, 2010

More on the 3M Half Marathon

After reading this morning's paper, I picked up a few more positive stories from yesterday's race. In a sport dominated by swift-footed Kenyans, this year's race was won by Westly Keating, a 28 year old high school chemistry teacher from Edinburg, Texas. As a high school teacher, I can be sure that he doesn't have the money or the time to train professionally on a full-time basis, so this makes it a true amateur victory. I am sure that his students will be very proud.

Two other results caught my eye. The winner of the women's 75+ category was Vonda Lee Adorno of Austin, who finished in 2:24:38. The winner of the men's 75+ category was Spencer Mann of Spicewood, who finished in 2:38:32. Both of the 75+ winners finished faster than I did (although I was only about a minute behind Spencer). I am impressed by the performance of these local septuagenarians who accomplished something that most 20-somethings wouldn't attempt.

No comments: