Friday, February 26, 2010

Didn't See That Coming

Today I was having lunch at Rudy's Barbecue in Northwest Austin up near the Williamson County line. You have to realize that Williamson County is pretty conservative. As a matter of fact, if Central Texas was a family, Travis County would be the long-haired brother who staggered in bleary-eyed in the early hours of Sunday morning to find his straight-laced brother Williamson County shining his shoes for church.

As I was refilling my glass of tea, I noticed a young woman who worked there squealing in delight. I remarked to her that she seemed very happy. She explained to me that she had been talking to one of her co-workers about religion. I was pretty sure that I knew what was coming next. I expected to hear that her friend had made a decision for the Lord. No, that wasn't it.

The reason this young lady was--I kid you not--squealing for delight was that her co-worker had brought her Hamantaschen. Fortunately, I am partially bi-lingual. I speak Christian and a bit of Jewish, so I caught the reference. Hamantaschen are three-cornered pastries served in connection with the Jewish holiday of Purim. Purim celebrates the victory of Jewish Queen Esther who prevented the evil Haman, vizier to the Persian emperor, from killing the Jews. The Hamantaschen represent Haman's three-cornered hat.

I had to smile because I really didn't see that coming. In a barbecue joint in the land of the Baptists, a young girl was publicly gleeful over Jewish pastries. Now there is nothing wrong with Baptists or people making a decision for the Lord. However, there is something priceless about being caught by surprise.

1 comment:

Doug Van Pelt said...

Nice!
Sounds like a wonderful moment indeed.